Wednesday, October 01, 2014

World famous author becomes Mother

On July 7, 1912, Lucy Maud Montgomery, by then a world famous author, gave birth to her first child, a son named Chester. On September 22 of that year, she reflects on motherhood:
"When the nurse again laid my baby beside me my "great moment" came -- the exquisite moment of the realization of motherhood. It seemed to me that my whole being was engulfed in a wave of love for that little blinking mite of humanity that lay cuddled to my breast. Love -- such love! I never dreamed there could be such love. It seems blent and twined with the inmost fibres of my being -- as if it could not be wrenched away without wrenching soul and body apart also. At times I am terrified that I love him too much -- that it is a defiance of God to love any created thing so much. How can a mother bear to lose her child! It must be possible, since mothers do bear it and live. But I cannot believe that I could go on living if anything happened to my darling. The mere thought of it sends a thrill of agony to my very soul. The love of motherhood, exquisite as it is, is full of anguish, too. I see and realize the depths of pain I never realized before. Motherhood is a revelation from God."